- 23Minutes of study time
Best Things to Do in Sedona
Nestled in the heart of Arizona lies Sedona, a charming town surrounded by stunning red rock formations and breathtaking landscapes. Sedona is known for its spiritual and healing energy, making it a popular destination for those seeking a peaceful and rejuvenating getaway. With so many things to do and see, it can be overwhelming to plan your trip. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to help you discover the best things to do in Sedona.
Whether you’re a nature lover, adventure seeker, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Sedona has something for everyone. From hiking and exploring to stargazing and shopping, Sedona has it all. So, pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable experience in one of the most beautiful destinations in the United States.
#1. Explore the Red Rock Formations
One of the most iconic and picturesque attractions in Sedona is the spectacular red rock formations that surround the town. These towering formations are not only visually superb, but they also hold a great deal of spiritual significance to the Native American tribes that once inhabited the area. There are many ways to explore the red rocks, including:
- Hiking: Sedona is home to some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the United States, with trails ranging from easy to strenuous. One of the most popular trails is the Cathedral Rock Trail, which offers breathtaking views of the red rocks and the town below.
- Jeep Tours: For those looking for a more adventurous way to explore the red rocks, jeep tours are a great option. These guided tours will take you off-road and up close to the stunning formations, allowing you to experience the beauty of Sedona in a unique way.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: For a truly unforgettable experience, take a hot air balloon ride over the red rocks of Sedona. From high above, you’ll get a bird’s eye view of the splendid landscapes and formations.
#2. Visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross
The Chapel of the Holy Cross is a stunning architectural marvel that was built into the red rocks of Sedona in 1956. This unique chapel is a must-see for anyone visiting Sedona, and it offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes. The chapel is open daily for visitors, and there is no admission fee.
#3. Relax and Rejuvenate at a Spa
Sedona is known for its spiritual and healing energy, making it the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate. There are many spas in Sedona that offer a wide range of treatments, from massages to energy healing sessions. Some of the most popular spas in Sedona include:
- Mii amo: This award-winning spa is located at the Enchantment Resort in Sedona and offers a wide range of treatments, including massages, facials, and energy healing sessions.
- Sedona Rouge Spa: This luxurious spa offers a wide range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps. They also offer a variety of packages that include multiple treatments.
- New Day Spa: This affordable spa offers a wide range of treatments, including massages, facials, and waxing services. They also offer couples packages and group packages.
#4. Stargaze at Sedona’s Dark Skies
Sedona is known for its clear night skies, making it a great destination for stargazing. The town has even been designated as an International Dark Sky Community, which means that efforts are made to reduce light pollution and preserve the natural beauty of the night sky. There are many ways to stargaze in Sedona, including:
- Sedona Star Gazing: This guided tour takes you to some of the best stargazing locations in Sedona and provides you with telescopes and binoculars for an up-close view of the stars.
- Lowell Observatory: Located in nearby Flagstaff, the Lowell Observatory offers stargazing programs and tours for visitors of all ages.
- DIY Stargazing: If you prefer to stargaze on your own, head to one of Sedona’s many parks or trails and enjoy the natural beauty of the night sky.
#5. Experience Sedona’s Art and Culture Scene
Sedona is home to a vibrant art and culture scene, with many galleries, museums, and cultural events throughout the year. Some of the best ways to experience Sedona’s art and culture scene include:
- Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village: This unique shopping center is designed to resemble a traditional Mexican village and features over 40 galleries, shops, and restaurants. It’s a great place to shop for unique souvenirs and gifts.
- Sedona Arts Center: This nonprofit organization promotes local artists and hosts a variety of events and exhibitions throughout the year. They also offer art classes and workshops for all ages and skill levels.
- Sedona International Film Festival: This annual event features independent films from around the world and has been named one of the “Top 25 Coolest Film Festivals” by MovieMaker Magazine.
#6. Take a Scenic Drive
One of the best ways to experience the natural beauty of Sedona is to take a scenic drive. There are many picturesque routes to choose from, including:
- Red Rock Scenic Byway: This 7.5-mile drive takes you through some of the most stunning red rock formations in Sedona and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Oak Creek Canyon: This scenic drive takes you through a lush canyon filled with towering trees and fabulous rock formations. It’s a great place to stop for a picnic or a hike.
- Verde Valley Wine Trail: For wine lovers, this scenic drive takes you through some of the best wineries in the region and offers splendid views of the surrounding landscapes.
#7. Enjoy Outdoor Activities
Sedona is an outdoor lover’s paradise, with many opportunities for hiking, biking, kayaking, and more. Some of the best outdoor activities in Sedona include:
- Mountain Biking: Sedona is home to some of the best mountain biking trails in the United States, with trails ranging from beginner to advanced. Some of the most popular trails include Bell Rock Pathway and Slim Shady Trail.
- Kayaking: The Verde River runs through Sedona and offers a great opportunity for kayaking and canoeing. The river is calm and gentle, making it perfect for beginners.
- Horseback Riding: For a unique way to explore Sedona’s landscapes, take a guided horseback ride through the red rocks.
Sedona is truly a nature lover’s paradise, with superb red rock formations, clear night skies, and an abundance of outdoor activities to enjoy. Whether you’re looking to relax and rejuvenate, explore the natural beauty of the region, or experience the vibrant art and culture scene, Sedona has something for everyone. So, pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable adventure in one of the most beautiful destinations in the United States.